What is the Sports Premium?
This is funding that is being jointly provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport, and will see money going directly to primary school headteachers to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children.
The sport funding can only be spent on sport and PE provision in schools.
Purpose of funding
Schools will have to spend the sport funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Government Guidance for the spending of Sports Premium
Schools must use the funding to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of PE and sport they offer.
This means that they should use the premium to:
- develop or add to the PE and sport activities that your school already offers
- build capacity and capability within the school to ensure that improvements made now will benefit pupils joining the school in future years
For example, they can use the funding to:
- provide staff with professional development, mentoring, training and resources to help them teach PE and sport more effectively
- hire qualified sports coaches to work with teachers to enhance or extend current opportunities
- introduce new sports, dance or other activities to encourage more pupils to take up sport and physical activities
- support and involve the least active children by providing targeted activities, and running or extending school sports and holiday clubs
- enter or run more sport competitions
- partner with other schools to run sports activities and clubs
- increase pupils’ participation in the School Games
- encourage pupils to take on leadership or volunteer roles that support sport and physical activity within the school
- provide additional swimming provision targeted to pupils not able to meet the swimming requirements of the national curriculum
- embed physical activity into the school day through active travel to and from school, active playgrounds and active teaching
How will we be spending the Sports funding and who will benefit?
The Governors agree that the money must be used so that: all children benefit regardless of sporting ability; that staff have access to training opportunities and continued professional development; sport is subsidised in order to support families financially.
We use the Website reporting Tool commissioned by the DfE which is our Sports Grant Action Plan document posted at the top of this page.